Sunday, August 16, 2015

Summer reading update

Schiottz-Jensen, Niels Frederik. Lady Reading in the Garden1894. 
WikimediaCommons. Painting.15 August 2015.




by Alida Hanson

A quick update on what your steadfast librarian has been reading this summer. July was glorious, spent reading the first three volumes of My Struggle by Norwegian author Karl Ove Knausgaard. My Struggle sounds ominous, but it's funny, thoughtful, and utterly sincere.

Since then I've decided to concentrate on nonfiction. Factory Girls by Leslie T. Chang was a highlight. Expecting a description of horrible working conditions and exploited women, I was surprised to meet young women who, just like me at that age, want to be independent and are motivated to work for it. I highly recommend it.

If you're interested finding out about what I've been reading see my reviews below. I'm getting most of my reading these days from our excellent Outstanding Books for the College Bound and Lifelong Learners collection. I haven't encountered a dud yet. This collection has a permanent display in the library, and we have lots of audio and ebooks that you can access from home if you don't get a chance to stop by and get a book during the school day.

Happy last few weeks of summer. There's still time left for a book or two.

I can't wait to see you in September!


No comments:

Post a Comment